A Donut chart is primarily a Pie Chart with an area at the centre cut out. When Donut Chart is used, readers focus more on reading the length of the arcs, rather than comparing the proportions between slices.
- Label: Label is the text that is displayed over the control and helps the user to understand the purpose of the Donut Chart Control.
- Properties: These properties help you customize the Label by changing the text size, weight ( Light, Normal, Bold, Extra Bold, X Extra Bold), alignment (Left, Center, Right, Justified) and color of the label.
- Type: The Type field is automatically generated depending upon the type of control used. In this case it is a “doughnut” type.
- Unique Name: A Unique Name is used to uniquely identify a control in your App. Every control that is added on the screen gets an auto-generated Unique Name on the basis of the Label name given to the control.
- Hidden: The hidden option helps you to hide the field from the user. This might help to perform some computation you don’t want the user to see or if you want to show certain fields only when a specific condition is met/not met.
- Caching: When the caching option is selected and if a LOOKUP formula is applied to this control, the state that the LOOKUP returns will be cached and the user will be able to see this state of the field even when he accesses the microapp later with no connectivity. This option is required when you want your app to be accessible in offline mode as well and getting the latest data from the sheets always is not critical.
- Hide Label: This option hides the label of the control from the view.
- Chart Height: This allows you to set the height of the Donut chart. By default the height is set to 350 px.
- Aggregate Data: This option can be used when you need to quantify the number of certain elements using a chart. For example if you have a list of employees with department names you want to plot graphs about how many employees are in each department you just bind the department column and aggregate it.
- Data Values: When this option is selected you will be able to see the values corresponding to each arch next to it.
- Legends: It is the area of a chart that helps describe each of the parts that help make up a chart. You can enable legends by selecting this option.
How to Use a Donut Chart Control?
Start with selecting the Donut Chart Control from the Charts section of the Controls Menu.
The Donut Chart Control will then appear on the screen in the builder, you can then set all the above-mentioned properties as per your requirements.
You can use the F option to bind data to Donut Chart Control and the V option to add validations to the field. You can learn more about validations here. There are two ways in which you can bind data to the chart.
- Sheet: It allows you to get value from a sheet and display it in the control.
- Formula: It can be used to apply formulas and use the output of those formulas to set the control. You can learn more about formulas here.