The Prefix and Suffix control is used to add a Prefix or Suffix to an input value given by the user. A prefix is an affix that is placed before the beginning of a word, whereas suffixes are a letter or group of letters added to the ending of words.
- Label: Label is the text that is displayed above the text box and helps the user to understand what they are supposed to input in the text box.
- Properties: These properties help you customize the Label by changing the text size, weight ( Light, Normal, Bold, Extra Bold, X Extra Bold), alignment (Left, Center, Right, Justified) and color of the label.
- Type: The Type field is automatically generated depending upon the type of control used. In this case, it is a “prefixandsuffix” type.
- Unique Name: A Unique Name is used to uniquely identify a control in your App. Every control that is added on the screen gets an auto-generated Unique Name on the basis of the Label name given to the control. Since this control is a composite of 3 elements it has three unique names for each of those elements.
- Submit Data: This field lets you determine whether to send the value of the control or not in Workflow based on various control states. There are three conditions that could be set for this field.
- Always: When this condition is selected, the data in the Prefix and Suffix Control will be submitted irrespective of the state of the Prefix and Suffix Control.
- Never: When this condition is selected, the data in the Prefix and Suffix Control will never be submitted irrespective of the state of the Prefix and Suffix Control.
- No When Hidden: When this condition is selected, the data in the Prefix and Suffix Control will be submitted if the Prefix and Suffix Control is visible and not submitted when the Prefix and Suffix Control is hidden.
- Required: When you select the required option, the field becomes a mandatory field and the user can not submit without filling it.
- Read Only: When you select this option, the user will no longer be able to edit this field.
- Hidden: The hidden option helps you to hide the field from the user. This might help to perform some computation you don’t want the user to see or if you want to show certain fields only when a specific condition is met/not met.
- Caching: When the caching option is selected and if a LOOKUP formula is applied to this control, the value that the LOOKUP returns will be cached and the user will be able to see this value in the Prefix and Suffix Control even when he accesses the microapp later with no connectivity. This option is required when you want your app to be accessible in offline mode as well and getting the latest data from the sheets always is not critical.
- Hide Label: This option hides the label of the Prefix and Suffix Control from the view.
- Theme: The theme options lets you choose the color of the text box. You can either enter a custom hex code value or use one from the available themes in the builder.
- Placeholder: It is a prompt that gives a hint to the user as to what has to be done. It is present in the Prefix and Suffix Control and is overridden when the user types something into it.
- Numeric: When this option is selected the control will only accept numeric values.
- Display Prefix: When this option is selected, the Prefix will be displayed in the microapp.
- Default Prefix: This option lets you enter the default text for the Prefix.
- Prefix Color: This option lets you set the color of the Prefix.
- Display Suffix: When this option is selected, the Suffix will be displayed in the microapp.
- Default Suffix: This option lets you enter the default text for the Suffix.
- Suffix Color: This option lets you set the color of the Suffix.
How to Use a Prefix and Suffix Control?
Start with selecting the Prefix and Suffix Control from the Advance section of the Controls Menu.
The Control will then appear on the screen in the builder, you can then set all the above properties as per your requirements.
You can use the F option to bind data to all the fields of the Prefix and Suffix Control and the V option to add validations to the field. You can learn more about validations here. There are four ways in which you can bind data to the Prefix and Suffix Control.
- Static Data: It allows you to directly type in the text that you want to display.
- Sheet: It allows you to get data from a sheet and display it in the Prefix and Suffix Control.
- Control: It allows you to bind data to the Prefix and Suffix Control by using another control’s value present in the microapp.
- Formula: It is used to apply formulas and store the output of those formulas in the Prefix and Suffix Control. You can learn more about formulas here.