A form control is a unit through which user can input data on the screen and store it in the sheets. In Studio, there are three types of Input controls, known as Basic Input Controls, Composite Input Controls & Advance Input Controls. These controls differ from each other by means of type of the data it accepts and the number of units it has.
A Basic control is a control which has a unit or a block that accepts a single unit of data. For example, a text box (Text control) is a basic control as it accepts only text data in a unit which is a Text field, as shown below.
Generally, a basic control will accept single unit data from user or display single unit data from sheets/formulas. Every control that is added on the screen gets an auto generated Unique Name. This Unique Name is generated on the basis of the Label name given to the control as shown in the below image.
In the above screen grab, Employee ID control is of type Text having label as Employee ID and hence the Unique Name (employee_id) generated is based on the Label name for the control.
A Unique Name is used to uniquely identify a control in your App. For example, if there are more than same type of control on a screen or more than one screen in your app and in all the screens you have Text control added on it, then using the control's Unique Name you can correctly refer the intended control.
Unique Name are also used to pass data between different controls or perform any operation on the control's data within your App.
Following are the Basic Input Controls available in Studio -
- Text - This control is used to accept text data. Any data that you input in this control will be treated as text.
- Email - This is a special type of Basic Input Control which accepts Emails in a valid email format. It has an in-build validation for check the email format. If the email is not in a valid email format, then the app will throw an error message "Invalid Email ID".
- URL (Link) - This control is used to store links or URIs from the screen.
- Text Block - This control is a Text Area control. A text area can hold an unlimited number of characters, and the text renders in a fixed-width font.
- Number - This control is specifically used to accept numbers or integers. That is it accepts whole number (not a fractional/decimal number) that can be positive, negative, or zero.
- Decimal - This control accepts integer and decimal positive, negative numbers or zero.
- Percent - This control accepts integer and decimal positive, negative numbers or zero as percentage. It also shows a % symbol in the control's UI for representation.
- Toggle Button - Toggle Button is a control that has an on and off state. When the state of the button is On, the value this control passes is TRUE and if the state is Off, the value is set to FALSE. By default, the state is always set to Checked or On. You can change its default state by changing the state of Property - Checked.
- Toggle Text - Toggle Text is similar to the Toggle Button control except that you can customize the value for on/off states of Toggle Text as per your requirements.
The default value for on/off states of a Toggle Text control is set to Yes/No respectively. But you can change the values for on/off states under the CHECKED/UNCHECKED STATE property of the Toggle Text control. The value set for on/off state of Toggle Text will be stored in Sheets to which it is mapped and the same values will be used in the workflows.
- Date Picker - This control is a calendar type control to select the Date. You can set User Device's date as a default date or can keep the Date picker empty when the date control is displayed to the user. When the default value is set to User Device, the user device's date will be the date set on the date control.
- Time Picker - This control is a calendar type control to select the Time. You can set User Device's time as a default time or can keep the time picker empty when the time control is displayed to the user. When the default value is set to User Device, the user device's current time will be displayed on the time control. You can set the time format to either 12/24 hour format by setting value in Time Format property.
- Signature Pad - This is a special input control used to capture signature. Anything that you write or draw on the Signature pad will be stored as an image in the Sheets.
- Location - This control is used to get the current location of the user's device. You need to enable GPS/Location to use this control on the app.